Current/Recent Reading List

16 September 2007

Wow.

Well, with two birthday parties, t-ball, in-laws in town, the Wyfe's birthday (not one of the parties) - and, oh yeah - school, I'm not over last week yet, and here a new one is upon us. Alas, little blogging time.

But I will mention that, since the in-laws were in town, we got to have one of our 2-3 movie nights of the year (I think this is #2 for '07). What did we see?

LISTEN TO ME FOLKS, AND LISTEN GOOD! WE SAW 3:10 TO YUMA AND IT WAS BRILLIANT! TOTALLY BRILLIANT! WHETHER YOU LIKE WESTERNS OR NOT, GO SEE IT! THE ACTING! THE STORY ARC! THE ACTION! THE 10 DIFFERENT INTERESTING AND SURPRISING STORY LINES! THE MORAL DISCERNMENT! THE METAPHYSICS! THE SERIOUS WALK DOWN THE ROAD WITH A POSTMODERN ETHOS BEFORE THE TURN TO REDEMPTION! BEST THING I'VE SEEN IN 3-4 YEARS!

Get the picture (wink, wink)?

3 comments:

Phil said...

Don't think I'd go so far as to call it the best thing I've seen in 3 or 4 years, but you're right about it being a very good movie. Not to create a spoiler for someone who may not have seen it, but did you find the ending believable? (Specifically, the final actions of Russell Crowe's character.) I found myself defending the ending to a friend the other day (who otherwise liked the movie a lot).

CL said...

OK, OK, I'll see it..even though Russell Crowe trying to act makes me want to shove a pencil in my eye.

School Master P said...

Phil - Remember, we only get out to about three movies a year these days, so the pool is shallow. But I figured you'd like it too.

Wyfe and I were discussing this very thing about the ending yesterday. I'm tempted to say that how believable the ending is depends on the predisposition of the viewer (I know, a little PoMo there). If you are inclined to believe in people acting irrationally and impulsively when the right thing suddenly occurs to them, you are probably more willing to believe the end. Dare I say it was a "grace" moment? That character also may have been more willing to take a risk for someone he grudgingly comes to admire because he knows his life expectancy can't be but so long anyway.

What I liked is that the movie didn't get heavy-handed or sappy with it - the audience can believe it or not, but they don't get preached at.

Dragon - I used to have the anti-Crowe vibe as well, but he won me over with "Master and Commander". Probably depends on the role. The good news for you is you're supposed to hate his guts in this movie.